Colon cancer is one of the most prevalent types of cancers that can affect both men and women. Although there are a number of remedies that can help prevent this frightening disease, health authorities say there is not enough research to warrant prescription of these natural treatments. This is quite common when using food for medicinal purposes, since the pharmaceutical industry generally dominates science today.
This doesn’t mean though that research published in respectable peer-reviewed journals doesn’t have any significance. One great example is the recent study that shows how coconut oil has active anti-colon cancer components.
About 50% of the oil’s composition can help fight cancer and the main ingredient of coconut oil is known as lauric acid. This component is said to exterminate over 90% of the carcinogenic cells that can cause colon cancer and it can do so in just two days.
How Coconut Oil Extinguishes Colon Cancer
Using its chief component, lauric acid, coconut oil can do the following:
- Lauric acid poisons the cancer cells.
- At the same time, it stimulates oxidative stress to the cells and helps release toxins from the body.
- The acid also reduces glutathione levels of the carcinogenic cells.
Glutathione is exactly what the cells need to defend themselves from the oxidative stress unleashed by lauric acid. The study is published in the Cancer Research journalin which University of Adelaide researchers discovered how colon cancer cells die after just 48 hours of in both in vitro and in vivo treatment in a colon cancer cell line.
More About Coconut Oil
Lauric acid, the same component that kills cancer cells, is also found in breast milk. This medium chain fatty acid has the ability to enhance the immune system, along with antimicrobial properties. Because of these benefits, coconut oil – whether raw, virgin, or organic – is considered as a superfood. Here are other reasons why coconut oil is healthy:
- The fats in coconut oil can help treat diseases, including diabetes, hepatitis C, osteoporosis, and herpes, aside from cancer.
- For cancer patients who are undergoing chemotherapy, coconut oil is used to decrease the side effects of the treatment and even improve their quality of life.
- Coconut oil has three ingredients that benefit thyroid health namely lauric acid, capric acid, and caprylic acid. These three acids prevent thyroid malfunction and even helps avoid inflammation and autoimmune diseases.
For years, coconut oil was demonized mainly because of its high fat content. But after several studies, it has been proven this oil is one of the most nutritious ingredients we can use in preparing our food.